Sunday, August 12, 2012

Dinner Menu Aug 13-18, 2012

This week is going to be kind-of wonky for our house. Our wonderful friend and baby sitter from Heaven is getting married and we have been invited to both the rehearsal dinner and the wedding. That eliminates 2 meals this week, but for the sake of those of you who are kind enough to look at my menu I am still planning 5 meals. Just know I will not be making them all.

Meatloaf.......a request from my 7 year old. He loves meatloaf with mashed potatoes and brown gravy. Doesn't everyone have a favorite recipe? I will include mine at the end of this post.
Sour Cream and Bacon Chicken........it's another newbie, but why not? I am not sure the name of this is accurate, but we shall give it a try. You can find the recipe HERE.
Spinach Tomato Tortellini.......something I have made before and I am guessing we liked it. Because I took the time to blog about it. The recipe is found HERE.
Dijon Crusted Halibut............from the Alaska fishing days. Really flavorful and easy to make. HERE is the deal on this one.
Ooey Gooey Mexican Chicken.......this ONE is so good. Crock pot again but plan ahead this calls for already cooked chicken. So either poach some (which is what I usually do) or grab a rotisserie chicky at the grocery store. Serve with chips, as a burrito, or on a salad. Lots of options here.

Wahooo! Another week in the bag. The last one is one of my favorites and is the meal I did for the neighborhood meal swap last month. It is east to amend to your likes/dislikes. Make it spicier if you wish.




Meatloaf
adapted from Gooseberry Patch "Flavors of Fall"

1 lb. ground beef
1 egg beaten
1/3 c. bread crumbs (fresh if available)
1/2 c. milk
1/2 tsp. Worcestershire
1/2 tsp. garlic salt
1 small onion diced and sauteed in olive oil just until soft OR grated

1/4 c. Catsup
3 TBSP brown sugar
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. dry mustard

mix beef, egg, bread crumb, milk, salt, and onion together. arrange in ungreased 9"x5" loaf pan. Combine remaining ingredients; spread on top of meat mixture. Bake at 350* for one hour. Serves 8.



*****Notes: I will never understand why my son loves meatloaf, but he sure does. And I made the Sour Cream and Bacon Chicken. But I bake it in the oven at 350* for about 30 min. after I wrapped the chicken (tender) in the bacon and browned it off in a pan. I forgot to add the sour cream to the soup. (It was one of those days) but it was still good. The soup part was a little thick, but I think that would not have been the case had it been cooked in the crock pot as the recipe intended. And we had a lovely time at the Wedding we took part in.



No comments: