Thursday, April 16, 2009

Colossal Chopped Salad

I got this one from a Pampered Chef party I went to a couple of years ago. It has turned it to one of my great stand-bys when I need something for a crowd. This recipe is great for bridal and baby showers too.

1 pkg. (16 oz.) uncooked penne pasta
1 head romaine lettuce, thinly sliced (about 6 c.)
2 c. diced cooked chicken
1/2 c. sliced red onion
1 yellow summer squash or zucchini
2 Roma tomatoes
1 lg. carrot, peeled
1 can (3.25 oz.) pitted ripe olives, drained
1/2 c. (2 oz.) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
1 c. Italian or ranch salad dressing

Cook pasta according to package directions in a large pot; drain and rinse under cold running water using. Spoon pasta into Large Round Bowl. Meanwhile, thinly slice lettuce and dice chicken. Slice red onion. Slice yellow squash in rounds and then in half. Slice tomatoes; cut slices in half. Cut carrot into julienne strips; cut strips into 1-in. pieces. Slice olives. Top pasta with lettuce, chicken, onion, yellow squash, tomatoes, carrot and olives. top with grated Parmesan cheese. Drizzle dressing over salad; toss just before serving.

yeild: 16 servings.

I usually cheat and get the canned, sliced olives, why add an extra step if it is not needed. And don't think you can only use chicken. I have used chicken, but also leftover roast beef and ham too. The original notes say you can use a 10oz bag of roman lettuce. I have never done that, I like to use the head. But it is a great salad and a tasty and easy way to feed a large group.

No comments: